Remember when Melania Trump talked about her husband’s counterpunch? Michael Cohen just took one to the jaw.
Former President Trump is suing his former lawyer for more than $500 million.
The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, accuses the lawyer of betraying the attorney-client relationship. It also goes after improper enrichment, and spreading falsehoods.
The lawsuit focuses on Cohen’s public statements, including in books, and says Cohen ignored “cease and desist” orders.
“This is an action arising from [Cohen’s] multiple breaches of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, conversion and breaches of contract by virtue of [Cohen’s] past service as [Trump’s] employee and attorney,” the lawsuit states.
This move from Trump’s team comes after a significant escalation from the Manhattan District Attorney, Alvin Bragg. His investigation into Trump’s making so-called hush money payments during the 2016 election campaign is in full gear.
Trump pleaded not guilty to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records last week after being indicted by a grand jury.
Cohen testified to the grand jury and has often spoken out about the case. One of the spokespersons for Trump told Fox News that the lawsuit does not correlate to Bragg’s case.
Cohen pled guilty in 2018 to several crimes, including lying to Congress and over his facilitating payments to two women threatening to come forward with allegations about alleged affairs with Trump. The former president denied those accusations.
Cohen has spoken out about regretting his “blind loyalty” that he says led him to cover up Trump’s alleged crimes.
The former president is already several months into a campaign to reclaim his position in the Oval Office in 2024. He is facing legal cases from several investigations that he believes are motivated by politics.
In January, Trump was ordered to pay fines of nearly $1 million over a Russiagate lawsuit against Hillary Clinton.